Friday, March 12, 2010

Studio Tuesday- My Very First Feature Artist!

Drum roll, please.....  And now for my first Feature Artist........ David Scheirer of Studio Tuesday!

When I was expecting my son, I searched everywhere for art to adorn his walls but was endlessly disappointed.  While searching on Etsy, I came across Studio Tuesday.   I didn't buy anything at the time but I've never forgotten it.  Four months after the birth of my son, I purchased a few prints and plan to purchase a few more in the future.

David Scheirer is the artist behind Studio Tuesday.  I find his whale series to be simple and playful.  After talking with David a little, I have all but confirmed that his artwork is an expression of who he is- a very modest, very quiet, kid at heart.   The prints tell a story of a young whale and his adventures.  A perfect nourishment for a young imaginations- exactly what I wanted for my son. 





See what I mean?  I bought a whale series print with three whales swimming together in the night ocean.... so dear to me.  And I can see myself looking at this print in years to come and loving it just as much, if not more, for what it represents in my life- when a family of two became three.   I wish I could get them all! 

I asked David a few questions about his life, work and adventures...


Where did you get your inspiration for the whale series?

The whales have appeared in my doodles for quite a while. Recently I decided to put them into ocean scenes from my imagination, these weren’t too hard to imagine because I’ve always enjoyed learning about animals and different habitats. Basically the whole idea was inspired by my love of animals.

Is watercolor the only medium you use?

I occasionally paint with oil or acrylic as well. I enjoy drawing and doodling, usually in pencil. I would like to get into print making at some point. I think I would enjoy making woodblocks.

What is your greatest challenge as an artist?

The most difficult thing, by far, is promoting myself. It doesn’t come naturally to me and getting my name out, finding work, selling artwork takes a lot of time.

The actual challenges of creating and painting are things I usually enjoy.
 

You mentioned that you enjoy spending time outdoors in your profile. Where do you like to go?

I am often drawn to places with water; ponds, creeks, rivers, swamps, bogs, and the coast. I live in the DC area so for me this is often the Chesapeake Bay, the Potomac River, and the Atlantic Coast. These places are fun to explore and there is usually an abundance of birds and wildlife. There are interesting things to find and look at; shells, fossils, animal tracks, ferns, moss, etc. 

 

If you could be an animal, which one would you be?

I would probably be an otter. It seems like they have fun. They play together, eat fish, and do that headfirst sledding thing.



----------------------------------------------------------
An otter- need I say more?  If you want to check it out, go here.  He's got a lot more that I didn't feature- some great work inspired by the sea.  And, he's got a collection of acorns that's really great. 

Hope you all are well.  Have a wonderful weekend!  
  

2 comments:

  1. What a cool artist! After looking at his page I liked how he does the whimsical whales, but also very realistic artwork of shells, mermaid's purse, etc. Two very appealing styles. Lucas wants his room an ocean theme, and I'm going for a more realistic look and this artist fits right in to what I'm looking for! Also, I loved the three whales at night painting, too. So sweet! Loving your blog....Melita

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's this I see? You are posting before 6:30 in the MORNING??? Now I see why it is you accomplish a lot in your life. =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails