Monday, March 18, 2013

Pinterest Experiment: Slipcover

A few months ago, just after we moved, my parents gave me an old sofa of theirs. It was hiding in my father's office, primarily used by their little dog, Lexi to lounge on while my father works away at the computer.   In my childhood home, it was in our dining room and I played on it, while I waited for dinner.  I practiced kissing pillows on this couch!  Don't lie, you did it too:)  Well, time passed and it became a little discolored and faded, the cats used it as a scratching post, a few dogs have used it as their bed..... it's seen better days.  But look at those lines.  And its super comfortable, too.   I snapped it up when my parents offered because I've been plotting to slipcover something after I saw the following tutorial on Miss Mustard Seed and this seemed like a great project to try it out on:   


I like this tutorial because 1. its inexpensive (and if I FAIL, it's not a big deal); and 2. there is no need to worry about cutting straight lines, measuring, or hemming.  The secret is in the cloth she uses:
I bought mine at Home Depot for $32 ish (I think).  I chose 8oz canvas because its what they offer there, but I've since seen drop cloth elsewhere that is more like 12oz- I might try that next just to see if it works/looks better.  I had enough to cover the entire couch but not enough for the cushion.  Something I learned the hard way: these drop cloths are offered in many different sizes.  I chose a size cloth that seemed more appropriate for the size of the cushion, however, when I brought it home, I realized that there was a very subtle color difference between the canvas on the couch portion and this new canvas.  I ended up buying another 12x15 to make sure the colors matched- now I have enough left over to work on another, smaller project.  Not the end of the world, but would have been good to know BEFORE I wasted $12 on the smaller canvas.
An added bonus of using the canvas is that the ends are already hemmed for you!  So, as long as your careful, you can do the whole project without having to hem a thing.  One more wonderful thing is that it rips straight- no scissors necessary.  Have I sold this idea yet?  Really- if you have any interest at all, you should watch the tutorial.  Its long but not so long that you turn grey watching it- maybe an hour or two.  Its been so long since I've seen it that I'm not entirely sure.
Here is my first attempt:
Its almost done- just a little sewing left- which I would have finished, if I hadn't gotten into a fight with my machine when I was ALMOST FINISHED!  Breathe.  It wasn't as easy as Miss Mustard Seed makes it look, but its not terribly difficult either.  I would highly recommend it!  It cost around $70 total (not including my little mistake). Compared to $500 to have someone reupholster it- I'd say its quite a savings.
I just can.not.wait. to get some pillows on here.  I'm thinking something along these lines from Fabric Junkie:
but I may choose something more colorful like these from Studio Pillow:

It will be awhile- or I may end up trying to make some out of fabric I have in the house (most likely:)
I haven't nailed down the colors yet.  I'm really looking forward to getting some paint up on those walls and getting colors in this house other than BROWN.  Here's a cute photo I took of Sam today while playing with his super hero toys:
I knew I would love those deep window sills. 

BTW:  Just for the record, its confirmed- we are having a girl! Sam felt the baby kick today and his reaction was completely anti-climactic:)  Not sure how much he understands at this point, but its only a matter of time.. da da daaaaaaaaa.

Have a wonderful day!  I have plans for another few posts so stay tuned....

k

3 comments:

  1. What a fantabulous idea!! A thick, durable, cheap fabric that would be a perfect backdrop for pretty throw pillows! I do love the shape of that couch too. Great job! Maybe I'll work up the courage to do that to the little spinning recliner I talked about recovering a million years ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Calysta. I remember the one you're talking about. I remember hemming and hawing about all the pretty fabrics you had picked out and not being able to choose one:) The great thing about this is that its a very low cost investment- three years down the line and you still want to recover it? No problem- you don't have much invested in it. And it is a nice neutral color- almost anything goes with it. If you look on her site, she has tons of things she's done and they look fantastic. YOU SHOULD DO IT!!!! Just kidding, I'm not going to be a pusher, I promise.

      Delete
    2. Very nice, Kelly. You are so talented. I'll bet it will look really cute with some nice bright pillows - Kelly style :) That is so cute of Sam. What an imagination he must have :) Love the snow pictures in the previous post too.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails